Changing the oil in a vehicle is an essential part of regular maintenance to keep the engine running smoothly. However, some car owners are uncomfortable changing the oil because it takes almost a day before they get their cars. However, it is different this time – express oil change hours for the process.
Why should you change oil cars?
Cars must change oil regularly as part of their routine maintenance for several important reasons:
- Lubrication. Oil reduces friction and wear. It helps to prolong the life of the engine components, such as:
- Heat dissipation. Engine oil helps disperse heat developed during the combustion process. As the engine runs, it can reach high temperatures, and the oil helps keep these temperatures within safe limits.
- Contaminant removal. Over time, dirt, dust, metal particles, and other contaminants can enter the engine. The oil carries these contaminants to the oil filter, where they are trapped. Changing the oil also removes these contaminants from the engine, preventing them from causing damage.
- Maintaining viscosity. Engine oil can break down over time, which becomes less effective at lubricating and chilling the engine. Regular oil changes ensure the oil maintains its viscosity (thickness) and optimal performance.
- Preventing sludge formation. If oil is not changed regularly, it can become contaminated and form sludge, which may clog oil passages and lead to engine damage.
- Fuel efficiency. Fresh, clean oil helps the engine operate more efficiently. Dirty or degraded oil can reduce engine efficiency, leading to decreased fuel economy.
- Reducing engine wear. Properly maintained oil reduces the wear and tear on engine components, leading to longer engine life and lower repair costs.
- Meeting manufacturer recommendations. Vehicle manufacturers provide oil change intervals based on the specific needs of their engines. Following these recommendations helps maintain your vehicle’s warranty and ensures it performs as designed.
- Environmental impact. Regular oil changes help decrease harmful emissions from your automobile. Old oil can become contaminated with pollutants, and changing it ensures the engine runs cleaner.
- Peace of mind. Regular oil changes are a proactive way to ensure the overall health and longevity of a vehicle. Knowing the engine has clean, properly lubricated oil can provide peace of mind while driving.
The frequency of oil changes differs depending on these three factors:
- type of oil used
- driving conditions
Most modern vehicles use synthetic oil, which typically has longer change intervals than conventional oil. Failure to change the oil as recommended can lead to engine damage and costly repairs.